Most people enjoy eating fruit, and many health authorities recommend eating it as part of a balanced and healthy diet. However, I find fruit is not a healthful food today, and it is not needed at all in the diet.
Fruit is mainly sugar and water with a low level of vital minerals. The potassium it contains is often somewhat toxic, and the balance of its minerals in not correct for most people. Fructose is a harmful sugar that puts on weight, feeds parasites in the body, and fruit is much too yin for regular use. This article discusses the controversial topic of fruit-eating.
BENEFITS OF EATING FRUIT
Reasons why many health authorities suggest eating fruit include:
- Fruit is a whole, natural food.
- Fruit contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, natural sugars and other nutrients.
- Fruit is convenient, easy to eat, and tasty.
SYMPTOMS ASSOCIATED WITH EATING FRUIT
This section incorporates our own research findings and that of many others who have worked with those who eat fruit or have eaten a lot of fruit for a period of some years, in most cases.
Birth defects. Mothers of unborn children are deeply affected by vegetarian, vegan and fruitarian diets.
This can cause more birth defects due mainly to low zinc in the mother’s body and a deficiency of the sulfur-bearing and other amino acids.Attention deficit disorders, autism, cancers and other problems in children. Eating fruit is particularly harmful for fast oxidizers, which includes most young children.
Deranged digestion. An area of the body that is among the most affected by eating fruit is the digestive tract. Fruit eating definitely feeds yeasts and other harmful pathogens in the intestines. The digestive tract becomes more yin, fragile and “leaky”. This affect the digestion and absorption of all nutrients. In part, this can be due to candida overgrowth, but also to irritation from fruit acids, toxic potassium and other substances in fruit such as pesticide residues, perhaps. Fruit requires pesticides in many areas to grow it at all. Even the natural pesticides used on organic fruit are somewhat toxic.
Cardiovascular problems. Fruit can weaken this system and can cause a shortened lifespan, among other disorders and problems. Fructose affects copper metabolism, which may be the reason for its negative effects on the cardiovascular system.
Pain syndromes. Stopping all fruit and returning to a diet with plenty of cooked, not raw vegetables often stops joint pain and other types of pain within a few weeks. Causes for the pain may be a zinc deficiency, again, deficiency of sulfur-containing amino acids, the effects of sugar, the effects of the fruit acids, or some combination of all of these.
Diabetic symptoms. The combination of low zinc, a higher-sugar diet and B-vitamin deficiencies that can develop from eating too much fruit may result in diabetic symptoms. The most prominent is often peripheral neuropathy, which causes tingling, burning or numbness in the feet, usually. Other symptoms may include frequent urination, fatigue, depression and others.
Weight gain. Many people believe that eating fruit will cause weight loss, and they are seriously disappointed. Fruit is not a low-calorie food. Also, eating sugar in any form causes weight gain by many mechanisms, such as stressing the insulin mechanism of the body, impairing the activity of the thyroid and adrenal glands, causing some water retention, and perhaps others.
Parasitic infections. This occurs because eating fruit makes the digestive tract much more yin, which makes it much more habitable by parasites, which are “cold” infective organisms. Other reasons may be that fruit may carry some parasitic organisms if it is not washed properly and is eaten raw. Also, a damaged and somewhat delicate digestive tract does not kill some parasites that are found in all foods and water supplies.
Pesticide poisoning. This occurs because most fruit is sprayed heavily, even if it is advertised as being organically grown. Even natural pesticides that must be used on fruit can build up in the body in a toxic fashion, affecting the liver and kidneys, in particular.
Toxic metal poisoning. Those who eat a lot of fruit seem to be particularly prone to the accumulation of mercury and copper, perhaps because they lack the balancing element of zinc. High-fruit diets also lack sulfur-containing amino acids that are needed for liver detoxification of the metals and of many toxic chemicals as well. Fruit also contains a toxic form of potassium that is found in all N-P-K or superphosphate fertilizers.
Mental/emotional symptoms. These are very common and include anxiety, depression, irritability, and even panic attacks. We know this because when a person who is eating a lot of fruit and having any of these symptoms stops eating fruit, often these symptoms vanish within a few days to a few weeks. If a person has eaten fruit for a long time, symptoms may take longer to reverse.
Anger and belligerence. Another interesting symptom that occurs is the development of a stubborn, and often belligerent and angry nature. This could be due to a zinc deficiency or perhaps a B-vitamin deficiency of some type. It may be due to a more yin condition, which makes a person more fearful and anxious.
Loss of mental acuity. This symptom, also called brain fog, is very common in those who eat a lot of fruit and sometimes seen in those who eat any fruit at all. It is often due to yeast overgrowth in the brain. Low iodine may also play a role, or perhaps low levels of some of the B-complex vitamins. Taking supplements of these nutrients may help, but frequently they are not enough to stop the progress of this mental degeneration that is very sad to observe.
Yin disease. Another symptom that is really a composite of many of those above, I refer to as yin disease. This is a general feeling of malaise or weakness, often coupled with some of the symptoms mentioned above.
A shorter lifespan. In my experience, fruitarians shorten their lives, often significantly. Interestingly, they may live apparently healthfully for years, but suddenly their health declines and they die quickly at an earlier age than most other people. I do not know the exact cause, but it may have to do with depletion of some vital nutrient or the accumulation of a toxic substance due to fruit-eating.
WHY DOES FRUIT-EATING CAUSE THESE PROBLEMS?
1. Fruit is one of the most yin foods one can eat. In the Macrobiotic conception of yin and yang, fruit is an extremely yin food. Yin refers to certain qualities such as cold, expanded, and sweet-tasting or sugary. Fruit also grows above ground and often up in the air, another quality associated with yin. In botanical terms, fruits are expanded ovaries of plants. This “body part” appears to make them even more yin.
In the traditional Chinese conception of yin and yang, fruit is not uniformly yin. However, it is uniformly yin in the macrobiotic view of yin and yang, and we find this to be most accurate. The problems with yin foods are:
- Most people’s bodies today are already extremely yin. Eating more yin food tends to unbalance their bodies even more. This tends to cause more weakness and illness in the body, even though fruit is a source of certain vitamins and other nutrients.
- This is even more important if a person is a slow oxidizer (even more yin), if a person is ill (also more yin) or if the person eats large amounts of fruit. Eating more of a yin food tends to make the body even more yin.
- Yin foods, or anything that makes the body more yin, appears to impair mental and spiritualdevelopment.
- Tropical fruits are even more yin, and thus the worst from this perspective. They include common fruits such as bananas, pineapple, coconut in all forms and preparations, dates, figs, papaya, citrus fruits and others. It also includes the tropical fruit drinks such as noni, goji, nopal, acai and others (see Tropical Fruit Drinks for more on this subject).
- Eating anything raw is even more yin, and fruit is often eaten in the uncooked state.
- Fruit juice is even more yin. It is more concentrated, contains much more sugar and less fiber to buffer the acids and sugars in the fruit.
- For much more on this serious problem with fruit, read Yin Disease on this website.
2. Fruit upsets the blood sugar level and causes excessive insulin release. The higher sugar content of almost all fruit causes this reaction. This adds stress to the body, can cause weight gain or impair weight loss, and causes other imbalances deep inside the cells.
Many people are unaware of the high sugar content of most fruit. It can be extremely high, especially with fruit juices, dried fruit or fruit that is packed or dipped in sugar. These are even worse than eating fresh fruit.
3. Fruit-eating often contributes to yeast overgrowth. Most people, even those who do not eat much fruit, already have an overgrowth of intestinal yeast such as candida albicans and others. This is due to toxic metal poisoning, and especially copper imbalance. Other mineral imbalances may also contribute, as does overeating on carbohydrate foods.
The high sugar content of most fruit worsens this important condition. The yin nature of fruit also tends to worsen all fungal infections because fungus and yeast conditions are yin infections. That is, they tend to be cold and parasitic in nature. For more on this subject, read Candida Albicans Infections and Parasites on this website.
4. Fruit is a carbohydrate food, and most people are overeating on carbohydrates already.
– 5. Fruit dehydrates the body. This may seem very strange. Some health authorities even tell their followers that the water in fruits is “naturally distilled” and that one does not need to drink other water.
This is very bad advice. First, eating anything that contains sugar, including fruit, tends to cause dehydration due to an osmotic process in which sugar draws water with it wherever it goes.
Also, the water that is in fruits is not distilled at all. It contains many minerals, and unfortunately it often contains residues of pesticides, which are often used on fruits even if the fruit is supposedly organically grown. For more on this important subject, read Hydration on this site.
6. Fruit seems to send the body’s energy in an outward and upward direction. This is a very subtle problem that is related to the yin quality of fruit, and also perhaps with its sugar content.
Downward moving energy is healthy and life-giving, while upward moving energy and outward-moving energy is not as healthful. For more on this, read Downward-moving Energy And Healing.
– 7. Fruit is quite harmful for babies and children, as it enhances the oxidation rate in the short term, but slows it later. This is a harmful stimulatory effect. Sugary foods of any kind tend to speed up the oxidation rate in the short term. This is due to its low fat content and higher sugar content. This is particularly harmful for younger children, whose oxidation rate is already too fast.
For this reason, please do not give babies and children ANY fruit or fruit juices, or for that matter, any sweets at all. This is hard for many parents, since children often love sweets. However, it will help your child’s health immensely if you keep them away from all sweet foods, including fruit and fruit juices of all kinds. This is very important for children.
– Some people may respond to the above by saying that milk is sweet, and milk is good for babies. This is true. However, milk also contains a lot of fat and protein, too. This counteracts some of the yin and the other effects of the milk sugar. Also, milk sugar or lactose is a disaccharide and is therefore burned or utilized more slowly than fructose or glucose found in fruit.
– 8. Fruit can actually be acid-forming in the body. I know that this statement goes against that which is found in most nutrition books. However, we find it to be true in clinical practice. Several reasons for this are:
A. Fruit acids. Textbooks of nutrition contend that even though fruit contains some mild acids, the mineral content of the fruit eventually causes an alkaline reaction in the body. However, we find that this is no longer the case because of the genetic modification of fruit and its lower mineral content, in general. As a result, the acids in the fruit can give many fruits an overall acidic reaction, which is not healthful at all. This applies particularly to acidic fruits such as citrus, which is often picked unripe and never ripens properly. However, it applies to other fruits, as well.
B. Fruit sugars. Sugars tend to be acid-forming in their internal reaction, especially fructose.
C. Imbalanced minerals in most fruit. The mineral content of fruit is not optimum for our bodies. Today, this is due in part to the use of superphosphate fertilizers used on most farms, including organic fruit orchards. The mineral content seems to cause unpleasant reactions and deficiencies of zinc, in particular, especially if one eats a lot of it. It does not seem to matter if the fruit is organically grown. More on this topic is found in the article entitled The Acid-Alkaline Balance.
– 9. Fructose, a prominent sugar in fruit, is one of the worst sugars to consume. Fructose does not directly raise the blood sugar as fast as glucose, for example. Instead, it is sent directly to the liver, where it should be converted to glucose. However, most people cannot process it very well and it can instead be converted to triglycerides and other fats. This is related to obesity, in some cases.
Medical evidence also indicates that fructose may interfere with copper metabolism, is inflammatory, and may contribute to metabolic syndrome and Type 2 diabetes. Read more about fructose in the article entitled Fructose.
– 10. Fruit-eating is often damaging to the enamel of the teeth. Fruit acids can damage the dentin or outside layer of the teeth. This is well known by some dentists, and is another reason be careful with eating fruit. The worst offenders are the acid fruits, such as citrus – oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, lemons, and limes.
– 11. Fruit is often sprayed with pesticides, even if labeled organic. In order for fruit to grow in most areas, particularly some parts of the United States, it needs to be sprayed. Even if fruit is labeled organic, it is often laced with some pesticides and insecticides, even if they are natural ones. Many of them, even the natural sprays, add more toxins to the fruit.
One of the most commonly sprayed fruits are grapes grown to make wines. We find that people who drink a lot of wine usually have higher levels of arsenic and often lead in their hair. Lead arsenate and other compounds containing these metals are often sprayed on grapes.
Also, even organically grown fruit can suffer from the residues of pesticides and other chemicals that had formerly been sprayed on the fruit, or small quantities that somehow find their way into the fruit. Because fruit is so yin, it may actually pick up more of some toxic metals that are less yin such as lead and some chemicals.
12. Genetic Modification and Hybridization. Fruit today is not the same as it was 100 years ago. Modern fruit is often hybridized and genetically modified. Few people realize this unless, perhaps, you have an old crab apple tree where the fruit was small and it was not as sweet as it is today.
Most fruit today is grown for mass consumption and is larger, sweeter, less nutritious, lower in mineral content, and for these reasons even more expanded or yin. For more, read GMO Foods on this site.
13. Fruit seems to tire out the body. I am not sure why it is so, but eating fruit seems to have an irritating quality for many people. Perhaps this is due to upsetting the yin and yang balance, or just its higher sugar content.
Also, the seeds of some fruits are slightly toxic, such as seeds of apples, peaches, pears, strawberries, blueberries and others. This may also tire the body somewhat when eaten regularly. Eating very cold foods, such as fruit kept in a refrigerator, is even worse. The body literally has to warm up the food, which may also tire it somewhat.
14. Fruit is rich in potassium, but it appears from hair mineral analysis research to be a toxic form of potassium. I say this because people who eat a lot of fruit, when placed on a nutritional balancing program, often begin to eliminate a biounavailable form of potassium. When it is gone, the person often begins to feel much better.
I suspect this potassium compound must have come from eating fruit because those with the potassium problem almost always have a history of enjoying a lot of fruit in their diets. Fruits, more than other foods, seem to take up a lot of toxic potassium from N-P-K fertilizers or superphosphate fertilizers that are used on almost all fruit trees, even organic commercial fruit-growing operations.
This potassium compound may also interfere with the absorption and utilization of other important trace minerals in the fruit. Although fruit-eating is the main cause of an accumulation of toxic potassium, there are other causes of toxic potassium. For more, please read Toxic Potassium on this website.
15. Cleanliness can be a problem with some fruit. Fruit may be picked by hand by workers whose cleanliness is not always the best. The surface of the fruit always contains bacteria, viruses and other micro-organisms. If it is not washed thoroughly, eating it can cause hepatitis, parasites and other subtle infections.
If you must eat fruit, always wash it carefully and never eat it right from the store or even from a tree, without washing it carefully. Also, do not leave fruit sitting out on the kitchen counter overnight and then eat it without washing it again. Fruit attracts flies, mites, ticks and other tiny insects very quickly that also infect the fruit with disease.