China Blocks Proposal to Designate Masood Azhar as Global Terrorist, Again

Countries Must Fight All Forms of Terror, India on China Blocking Terror Tag For Masood Azhar
On 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed’s launching his own political party in Pakistan, the MEA said It’s ironical that he wants to cover his blood-stained hands in ballot ink.
More

New Delhi: China has extended by three months its technical hold on a proposal at the United Nations to designate Masood Azhar, chief of terror group Jaish-e-Mohammad, as a global terrorist.

Beijing’s position on the Pathankot attack mastermind is likely to fuel tensions between India and China whose armies are locked in a standoff in Doklam area of Sikkim sector.

China had in February this year blocked the US move to designate Azhar as a global terrorist at the UN. The deadline for China to take action on its technical hold was till August 2.

If China would not have extended the technical hold, Azhar would have automatically been designated under the UN as a terrorist. Sources told PTI that just before the deadline lapsed, China once again sought a three-month extension until November 2 on its technical hold on the proposal.

The US had early this year, along with the UK and France, approached the UN’s sanctions committee for the ban on Azhar. However, it was stopped by Beijing which again put a six-month technical hold on it.

The US proposal came after India’s efforts last year to get Azhar listed as a global terrorist were scuttled by China.

China has been blocking India’s move stating that there is no consensus in the UNSC 1267 which enforces a global ban on terror groups and their leaders with affiliations to Al- Qaeda and Islamic State. The JeM has already been in the banned list.

This is the second year that China has blocked attempts to bring about a UN ban on Azhar which would force Pakistan to act against him.

India moved for the UN ban against Azhar in March last year after the Pathankot terrorist attack.

China first blocked the Indian move for six months followed by three months technical hold, which ended on December 31 last year leading to the lapse of the application.

China was the only member in the 15-nation UN body to put a hold on India’s application with all other 14 members of the Council supporting New Delhi’s bid to place Azhar on the 1267 sanctions list that would subject him to an assets freeze and travel ban.

(With PTI inputs)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.